Monday, September 16, 2013

Come hell or high water...

On May 5, 2006, my first baby was born. When she left my body I fully expected that the entire 80 pounds that I'd gained would be exiting with her. THAT was a rather rude awakening. Apparently cheese pizzas, banana splits, and row after row of Oreo cookies don't just magically disappear. Imagine that?

 I was uncomfortable and self-conscious and being fat made me cranky. I complained incessantly about my weight, yet did nothing to change it. Two and a half years later I gave birth to my second child and at that point I'd had enough. I WANTED a change.I went back to my high school cross country running roots.  I threw the kids in a jogging stroller and began walking and one day I just decided to run a block. That block turned into 5 minutes, and eventually hundreds of miles... I've had successes and failures, major injuries, and setback after setback. At one point I realized that I'd been a non-runner more than I'd actually been a runner due to all of my injuries.

Somewhere in the midst of the chronic Plantar Fasciitis I finally found out why I'd been in such crippling pain since the birth of my first daughter in 2006. I had a genetic autoimmune disorder called Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was debilitating, constant, and it was the reason my body refused to heal from simple injuries. My joints were flared and my nerves and tendons were stressed. It didn't stop me. I'm still running. 

I kept a log of my recovery from spine surgery because I was hoping that I would be able to share with the world the ability to live through the process and come out ok on the other side. Most people who are in my position will Google anything and everything related to spine surgery to find out what kind of wild ride they 
are in for...and when I went searching- there wasn't anything positive; blogs, threads, webpages, Vimeo logs - they all had overwhelmingly depressing stories to tell. Repeated herniations, multiple surgeries, and
the more I saw the more depressed I became. When I was rolled into surgery I wasn't scared of dying, I
was scared of living with no quality of life. This blog will not leave anyone feeling that way and that is my
goal. There is plenty of awesome life to live after spine surgery.










No comments:

Post a Comment